In 1912, the small Catholic Parish of Immaculate Conception began in Hendersonville, North Carolina, with Father Peter Marion as pastor.  After years of celebrating Mass in private homes whenever a missionary priest from Asheville could arrive, the small Catholic community of Hendersonville had its own church.

On land donated by Samuel Johnston, a Hendersonville merchant, a small white clapboard church was built on the corner of Seventh Avenue and Church Street.  Featuring a spire that rose toward the heavens, this little church could seat no more than 50-75 people in its simple wooden pews, had no heat, and only 19 faith-filled and courageous members.  The first Mass was celebrated on August 25, 1912, and attended by almost the entire congregation.

Though small in numbers, the congregation had a wealth of spirit, determination, and faith in God and one another.  In the summer months, when tourists came to the area to avoid the heat of southern cities, the congregation grew.  As a result, Father Marion celebrated two Masses each Sunday, and the collections grew from "$2.35-$5.15 to $11.35-$25.35."  It was through the generosity of the parishioners who donated "baskets of groceries and pantry things," that the parish survived.

In 1917, as the United States entered World War I, Father Marion had celebrated "three marriages and one baptism."  On May 12, 1918, Father Marion wrote, "Today's collection was $6.60.  Two soldiers were at Mass and contributed a dollar each."

Having started an Altar Society, the forerunner to today's Women's Guild, the women of the parish lovingly laundered and pressed the altar cloths. Once a month, the parishioners were asked to drop a nickel into a basket as they left the church to allow the women to purchase sanctuary oil.

In September of 1918, Father Marion wrote, "Last Sunday and today the autos are stopped by order of the government to save gas. The day seems solemn, quiet, and peaceful. We never thought the autos made such a difference."  In spite of this, father Marion noted, "Nice crowd at both Masses." But that was soon to change.

From October through mid-December of 1918, "The churches were requested to close because of the Spanish Influenza. Churches are closed all over the country. I had Mass in my house and four people attended." Coupled with the post-war depression, Father Marion prayerfully struggled to make ends meet.

Even though finances were difficult for parishioners, they constantly reached out to those less fortunate. "I took up a collection for the orphans in Hendersonville.  All people like to contribute to this cause," recorded Father Marion. This compassionate generosity of heart, spirit, and resources was a source of unity for the Catholic population which by 1920 had reached 55 "...with five baptisms, four marriages, and eight children attending Sunday School."

After Father Marion's death on July 4, 1924, Father James A. Manley was transferred from St. Lawrence in Asheville to become the new pastor of Immaculate Conception.

Father Manley believed strongly in Catholic education, and received permission from Bishop Hafey to turn the rectory into a school.  With the help of a parishioner, Father Manley made arrangements for three sisters, whose Mother House was in France, to come to Hendersonville and begin the school.

It was a struggle for the sisters in the first years, as their only salary came from tuition paid by the parents of 10 students.  Again, it was the generosity of the parish family that provided groceries and other needed items.  By 1927, there were 16 students.  During this time, by request from the parents, a dress code for the students was established and continues today.

In 1927, Father George Watkins became the pastor of the parish and asked Bishop Hafey if he could have a small cottage built as a rectory behind the church. This became known as Madonna Hall. When Father Paul Termer became pastor later that year, he recognized the need for a larger school; so, a large brick home -- the Keith Estate on Oakland Street -- was purchased to become the new school.  Father Termer moved back into the original rectory, and Madonna hall became a place for meetings and the kindergarten.

From 1931 to 1944, Father Philip O'Mara was appointed pastor of the growing congregation which now numbered nearly 100 year-round members. Summer residents had grown substantially, and the little church could no longer seat everyone. In 1936, due to generous contributions from the community and parishioners, a new stone church with twin towers and seating for 200 was built for $5,000.

In 1944, Father Edward V. Lane became pastor and began looking ahead to the future for the 15 families and 46 children in his congregation. In 1949 when enrollment had 46 students, the Allworden Estate, a large residence on the corner of 6th and Buncombe, became the new Immaculata School.

Father Lane was a visionary. He purchased additional land behind Allworden Estate, and began planning for a school that was not a converted residence. By 1962, 125 Immaculata students had a new building, the current school, in which to grow and learn.

 Upon Father Lane's death in 1967, Father Joseph S. Showferty became pastor to 240 families and 175 Immaculata School children. He became immediately aware of two main concerns: adequate housing for the sisters teaching at the school, and much needed repairs and enlargement of the church. In 1969, the new convent -- and later Friary --  was built next to the school, and discussions about adding on to the church took place.

 It was decided the new church would be designed in the style of a contemporary, L-shaped mountain chalet. Using stone from nearby quarries and featuring natural timber framing, the new church would seat 520.

During this time, Pope Paul VI gave approval to divide North Carolina into two dioceses. The new Bishop of Western North Carolina, Michael J. Begley, chose Father Showferty to become the first Chancellor of the new diocese located in Charlotte, and Immaculate Conception's 300 families welcomed a new pastor.

Father William N. Pharr arrived at Immaculate Conception in January of 1972, and immediately began overseeing the planning and fundraising for the new church.  Through the efforts of a dedicated Fund Drive Committee and the generous contribution from an anonymous donor, the $275,000 cost of the new church was reached.

Work on the new church began in the fall of 1972 and was completed in 1974, with the dedication Mass on April 25, 1974.  While the church was being built, Masses were held in theaters, community centers, restaurants, and the school.

Hanging above the altar was a crucifix hand carved out of large slabs of white oak by Louis Spegel of Black Mountain.  Father Pharr commissioned a wooden cross of stained walnut upon which the carved figure of Christ was hung.  This crucifix hangs above the altar today, reminding the congregation of Christ's love and sacrifice for each of us.  Mr. Spegel also carved a statue of the Madonna out of white oak which was positioned on the sanctuary wall of the third church, and like the crucifix, is a part of our current church.

In 1974, when Father Thomas A. Walsh took over as pastor, he continued the efforts to raise funds for a new Madonna Hall.  This was to be a large brick structure attached to the school that would provide a gymnasium, meeting rooms, a library, and additional classroom space.  The first event held in the new hall was a farewell party for Father Walsh who was transferred to Charlotte in 1979.  The associate pastor, Father Robert Gibson, also left the parish to return to his homeland of England.

Father Paul C. Wilderotter was appointed the new pastor of Immaculate Conception. As he was the only priest at the parish, he shared responsibilities with the lay congregation.  Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist visited the sick and homebound and aided in distributing Holy Communion to them and the parishioners.  He supervised a staff of eight, and changed the parish sign to read, "A Roman Catholic Community," stressing the communal faith and service of the now 750 families belonging to Immaculate Conception.

In February of 1983, due to poor health, Father Wilderotter left Hendersonville to return to his home in New Jersey to recuperate.  Father Conrad Kimbrough was installed as the new pastor with Father John Schneider as assistant pastor, and Masses in Spanish began to be celebrated for the growing Hispanic community with the help of Father Joseph Waters, a Diocesan priest.

In 1985, Father Charles Reese became pastor for one year before being transferred to Charlotte. Father Reese was succeeded by Father Joseph Kelleher who quickly became active in the life of the parish.

The Capuchin Friars came to Immaculate Conception in July 1991 when Father Kelleher was granted a sabbatical and Father Robert Salamone, OFM Cap. became pastor. These first Friars held a meeting for anyone interested in learning about the Secular Franciscans. Four parishioners were professed at that time, and the number has grown each year. Members meet monthly and renew their Profession Promises each October.

By then, the parish numbered 1250 families, nearly 3,000 people, and the church was bursting at the seams. Brother Michael Molloy, OFM Cap. arrived in 1992 and for 20 years taught at the school, trained the altar servers, visited parishioners in nursing homes, and served as the parish Sacristan.

In 1993, Father Salamone was granted permission to begin planning and raising funds for an new, larger church. By the Winter of 1995, half of the funds needed had been raised. Father Salamone moved on and was replaced by Father John Aurilia, OFM Cap.

By 1996, enough funds had been raised to break ground for the new church, and by December 5, 1998, the church was completed and ready for the dedication by Bishop Curlin.  At this time, Father John Salvas, OFM Cap. was assigned to the parish and began serving the growing Hispanic population. Brother John celebrated a Spanish Sunday Mass, worked with the weekly base communities where members study the weekly Scriptures and provide prayer and encouragement to one another, supervised the Good Samaritan Program, and worked with the Hispanic community for sacramental preparation and special feast day celebrations such as the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

In 2009, Father Aurilia was assigned to a parish in Florida, and Father Nicholas Mormando, OFM Cap. became pastor.  Under Father Nick's prayerful guidance and encouragement, Immaculate Conception took a big step into the future.  The small house behind the school, which had been the preschool, was torn down. In its place, a new structure was built to provide space for additional classrooms and St. Gerard's House --  a non-profit ministry that provides training, consultation and support for families, educators, institutions and others involved with the treatment or care of individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

The Grotto, an ABA preschool, is also housed in the new building. The Grotto is an education center serving students ages 2 to 4 years who have been diagnosed with autism. The goal of these new ministries is to enable these children to be mainstreamed into standard classroom education.

Father Nick left the parish to become the Provincial of Capuchin Franciscan Friars, Province of the Sacred Stigmata, in 2011. Brother John became the interim pastor until July 1, 2012, when he left to become pastor of St. Francis of Assisi in Hackensack, New Jersey. Brother Michael left to minister at the St. Lawrence Friary in Beacon, New York.

It was with enthusiasm, confidence, and gratitude that more than 1,800 families of Immaculate Conception Parish entered the future under the spirit-filled leadership of a new pastor, Father Martin Schratz, OFM Cap., from Charlotte.  Serving with him were Father Robert Williams, OFM Cap., Parochial Vicar, and Brother Lombardo D'Auria, OFM Cap., Pastoral Associate. In the summer of 2019, a modern playground for Immaculata Catholic School was built in memory of Malachi Siltzer, a student who died of cancer before third grade.

In July of 2019, the Capuchin Franciscan Friars departed, and the Parish of Immaculate Conception welcomed its first Diocesan Pastor in 28 years, Fr. W. Christian Cook, assisted by Fr. Britt Taylor as parochial vicar.  With a vision for the future, Fr. Cook moved the parish office into the newly-acquired St. Joseph Center on N. Church Street.

"Along with Faith Formation and meeting space, the building will become a hub of daily parish activity," Fr. Cook said. "Our parish office staff will be able to work in a professional environment, all under one roof, and thereby extend ever greater customer service to our parishioners and visitors. Such an impressive building warrants being more than evening meeting space and, with this move, the St. Joseph Center becomes the face of the Parish of the Immaculate Conception."                                                                                       

During Fr. Cook's tenure, two major construction projects were completed at the school, including a new STEM lab (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math).

In July 2023, Fr. Cook was moved to St. Margaret Mary's Catholic Church in Swannanoa, and the congregation welcomed Fr. Andres Gutierrez, a missionary priest with the Priestly Fraternity of Our Lady of Fatima, as pastor. Shortly after the arrival of Fr. Andres, Fr. David O'Connor, also with the priestly fraternity, arrived at Immaculate Conception to serve as Parochial Vicar. Serving alongside these priests were Br. Daniel Chavez, Br. Juan Gonzalez, and Br. Alfelix Peralta, also with the same spirituality and community as Fr. Andres and Fr. David. 

Brs. Daniel and Juan, having each surpassed a decade of formation, including at the St. Joseph College Seminary for the Diocese of Charlotte, were set to be ordained deacons in December 2025 at Immaculate Conception, which would possibly be the first time a diaconate ordination took place at the parish. 

In looking back at the church's 100-plus years, we remember the faith, courage, and sacrifice of those early 19 parishioners, and we give thanks for the leadership of the many pastors and associates who have guided the spiritual and physical growth of the Parish and its ministries.

We go into the coming years as Christ charged us..."Do this in memory of me."

Ave Maria Mutual Funds Wide Sponsorship Banner

HolyArt.com is a proud sponsor of this parish website.